Tattoo artists can help to mold client’s ideas while spreading their creative wings. By talking about who you are, your character and motivations for getting a tattoo it is easier for your artist to make recommendations. A tattoo lasts forever, making it incredibly important to have a tattoo design that reflects your personality both now and in the future. By asking the right questions and delving into what makes each person unique, we are able to work with clients to create a tattoo design they can be proud of.
We have created this cheat sheet so that you can think about your next tattoo and come up with ideas for images and symbols that represent who you are. Our artists are always available to sit down with clients and go over ideas. Whether you come with a sketch, picture, or completely lost, our artist will use their creative talents to come up with a stunning tattoo design you can be excited about.
Here are some basic questions to think about:
- Do you want to show off your tattoo or keep it hidden?
- Can you show your tattoo at work?
- How big of a tattoo do you want?
- Do you have a location in mind?
- What is your skin care routine (color tattoos fade in the sun)?
Creating a Tattoo Design
With these basic questions answered think about who you are, what you stand for, what makes you wake up in the morning, and where you are going in life. This helps us to create a design that is a true reflection of who you are.
Here are some of questions to ask yourself:
- What do you want for your future? A tattoo of your goal can help you go in the direction of your dreams.
- Do you have any specific talents or skills?
- What are your hobby’s and job?
- Describe your personality
- Who is important in your life and what do they represent to you?
- Do you plan on getting more in the future? If so, we want to incorporate this tattoo into the overall theme.
- What motivates you?
- Who or what has inspired you throughout your life?
- Say ten descriptive words about yourself.
- Do you want to honor someone?
- What do you stand for?
Once you know the answers, we can look up symbols that represent your personality and what is important to you. This helps us to create a design that when people look at it, will know who you are and what you are about.This is important because a tattoo is a permanent reflection of what you feel inside.
Here is an example of how a client and artist can work together to create something amazing. We had a woman come into the shop that didn’t know what she wanted. She told us about her hobbies, what adventures she has had, and about the things she loved. She was learning to fly an airplane, loved antiques, photography, and music. She is an amazing person with passion for these things that reflected in her personality. We were able to use that information to create a sleeve design out of these amazing antique objects that included an old fashioned plane, music player, and more. When the design sketch was completed, she took it home and showed her mother. She gasped, impacted by how perfectly the design reflected the essence of her daughter. That is the goal for our artists –
As artists, we live for those moments when people look at the design and are blown away by how the tattoo speaks more than words ever could. Tattoo art is our life, and it is our passion. We use that art to reflect yours.